Overview of the course
Opportunities in science are growing rapidly with many employees having long, fulfilling careers. This means a science qualification will open up a range of opportunities, giving you the practical and technical skills to build an exciting, and high-level, career!
This T Level, equivalent to three A Levels, will give you the skills to excel in the exciting world of science, preparing you for further study at university, or giving you the qualifications to begin a rewarding, and well paid, career.
You shouldn’t have difficulty finding work either! You’ll spend 20% of your time on an Industry Placement, giving you vital experience in the world of work and a CV to wow future employers.
What you'll learn
• All students will develop a general understanding of health and science
• Working within the health and science sector
• Health, safety and environmental regulations
• Managing information and data
• Principles of good scientific and clinical practice
• Core science concepts including the structure of cells, tissues and large molecules, genetics, microbiology and immunology
You will also learn about topics specific to science:
• Understanding the science sector
• Further science knowledge, including cell cycle and cellular respiration, enzyme and protein structure, pathogens, classification of biological materials, kinetic changes and relevant analytical techniques
• Scientific methodology
• Experimental equipment and techniques
• Ethics of science
In addition to the core content, each student will cover the following technical science specialism:
• Laboratory Sciences
Elements of Study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject - 80% of your programme
• Employability skills, such as punctuality, attendance, communication and team work but most especially the values and expectations of your chosen occupational sector
• Industry Placement, giving you a taste of working life – 20% of your programme
• Tutorial and personal development, such as healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills
You’ll spend 20% of your course, or 315 hours, on a sector-specific Industry Placement, supported throughout by your own dedicated Workplace Coordinator. This means that on completion of the
course, you’ll be work ready, with the qualifications and experience to progress on to either your dream career or university!
A minimum of five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including
English, Maths and Science.
How will I be assessed?
You’ll be assessed via a mixture of assignments, employer-set projects and exam(s).
The sole purpose of a T Level is to prepare you for employment and a dynamic career. Due to the broad range of topics covered on the Science T Level, you’ll be equipped for a career in a variety of settings. You could work as a:
• Laboratory Technician, earning up to £30,000. Laboratory technicians support scientists and help carry out tests, research and investigations.
• Biochemist, earning up to £60,000. Biochemists investigate the chemical processes that take place inside all living things, from viruses and bacteria to people.
• Chemist, earning up to £40,000. Chemists study chemicals and materials and how they behave under different conditions.
As the T Level is equivalent to three A Levels, you could even decide to progress to university or a paid Apprenticeship, if you choose.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services including FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors (LDMs); impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Sitting a job interview, writing a personal statement, applying for university - taking part in our enrichment programme will give you a CV to wow in all of these situations! You’ll benefit from:
- Inspiring trips and experiences
- Meetings with industry experts
- Visits to leading companies in your sector
As well as giving you essential professional and technical skills, you’ll demonstrate that you’re a successful and well-rounded person, helping you to make a lasting impression.
We want you to have fun, so we also have plenty of leisure and sporting activities for you to enjoy, improving your health and wellbeing
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor, supporting you throughout your time at College. You’ll also have access to a Careers Coach and Workplace Coordinator - they’ll help you to manage your studies; oversee your progress; aid in your personal development; and enrich your learning, giving you exposure to not only employers, but leading companies in your sector.
You’ll benefit from masterclasses, industry visits and project-based learning, and you’ll also receive support with CV writing, personal statements, mock interviews and more, so that when it comes to the crunch, you have the skills and confidence to impress.
Why choose us?
We’re an elite College, and part of the University of Bolton Group, offering you a gateway to all of Greater Manchester’s vast range of fantastic opportunities for specialist careers, university degree courses and higher Apprenticeships.
We’ll reward your achievements with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre and the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
Our £75 million campus offers a refurbished fitness suite and sports hall; Apple Mac suites; libraries, a theatre and dance studios; hair and beauty salon; and a restaurant, café and canteen.
You’ll also enjoy a wide range of events, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations
How to apply?
Click the yellow ‘Apply’ button on this page.
You’ll be asked to set up a Learner Hub account so that you can track your application and enrol online. You’ll also be asked to book your interview for your course at the same time.
If you have any difficulties setting up your Learner Hub account, please email email@example.com
Open Events are the best way to discover what life as a Bolton College student is like, giving you an insight into College life.
Open Events at our Deane Road Campus are as follows:
- Thursday 20th October 2022, 5pm-8pm
- Tuesday 15th November 2022, 5pm-8pm
- Wednesday 7th December 2022, 5pm-8pm
- Wednesday 8th February 2023, 5pm-8pm
If you’d like to attend one of these events, register by visiting here
Although every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within this document is accurate, there may be changes to this programme and provision. We will endeavour to keep prospective and current students updated where appropriate and when the information becomes available.