Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study. This course provides you with an excellent route to a career in the IT industry or Higher Education. With the support of our experienced and committed teaching team you will gain knowledge in a range of areas, including:
• IT Support
• Trouble-Shooting & Maintenance
• Web Development
• Graphic Design
You will also gain a background understanding of computer and information systems as well as many other practical skills. Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
You’ll expand your knowledge of hardware, software, user support and systems development, and study at a practical level how to:
• Maintain a Network
• Support Individual Computer Users
• Maintain, Troubleshoot, Repair & Upgrade Computers You’ll also develop a good understanding of:
• Web Page Design
• Games Development & Design (during this topic you can use your imagination and creativity to modify and manipulate images and create animations.)
If required for your chosen career or HE course, you may wish to study English & maths to Level 3.
Your programme consists of the following elements:
Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
We ask that you have four GCSEs, minimum grade 4, including Maths and English, or a Merit award in an IT Level 2 qualification. We’ll also ask you to come for an interview and provide a satisfactory school reference.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by completion of internally set assignments and practical class activities.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme. This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes masterclasses; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a higher education course at College or university, or explore the possibility of doing a Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4). Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk.
Following further study you could work as:
• An IT Operations Technician, earning between an average of £30,000 a year, depending on experience.
• An IT Support Technician, earning up to £32,000 depending on experience.
• An IT Project Manager, earning between £25,000 and£70,000 a year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities outside the classroom.
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.