Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
This Level 2 course will allow you to develop and practise the skills required for employment within the barbering industry. It will introduce you to the discipline of a working environment and encourage you to reach a good level of knowledge and skills.
Our Barbering department has received ‘Approved Training Centre’ status from the British Barbers’ Association – the UK’s leading association for barbering.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
• Client Consultation for Hair Services
• Cut Men’s Hair
• Cut Facial Hair
• Colour and Lighten Hair
• Style Men’s Hair
• Shampoo and Condition the Hair and Scalp
• Promote Products and Services to Clients in a Salon
• Working in the Hair Industry
• Create an Image Based on a Theme within the Hair Beauty Sector
• Follow Health and Safety Practice in the Salon
We encourage our students to continue their English & maths study to Level 3
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
Your programme consists of the following elements:
You’ll need one GCSE at grade 3 or above, in maths or English. We will also invite you for an informal interview and ask to see a satisfactory school reference.
How will I be assessed?
There will be continuous assessment through practical work, oral and written questions and assignments. We’ll also ask you to organise and build a portfolio of your work.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a Barbering Apprenticeship - develop your skills on the job and earn a wage!
Following further study you could work as:
A Barber and earn between £14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on experience
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from local employers & industry leaders
• Visiting local barber shops
• Local and national competitions
• Taking part in enrichment activities – such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you’re a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to complement your study programme experience.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
PLUS FREE EQUIPMENT WORTH UP TO £370
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.