Overview of the course
This programme will prepare learners for appropriate direct employment in the vocational sector and it is suitable for those who have decided that they clearly wish to enter a particular specialist area of work. It is broadly equivalent to three A Levels.
What you'll learn
Your study programme will cover areas including:
• Health & Safety
• Sustainable Construction
• Science & Materials
• Construction Technology
• Building Regulations & Building Control
• Maths in Construction
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• You will be looking at case studies involving real life health & safety issues
• Dealing with carbon footprints and environmental issues in construction
• Assessing the effects of erosion on steel and concrete
• Understanding why buildings get planning permission and how this is controlled
• Looking at quantities and other mathematical construction based problems
• Dealing with the understanding of foundations and their importance (substructure & superstructure)
Three GCSEs at grades 4-9 (Maths, English and a Science at grade 4 or above) or completed the BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Construction or NVQ Level 3 in a construction craft or the BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in Construction.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is through individual assignments, coursework and group projects, which will be used to continually assess you throughout the year.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services.
- FREE travel
- FREE breakfast
- dedicated Learning Development Mentors
- impartial advice and guidance
- dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs
- support with the cost of College
plus much more.
After you have completed the programme you could progress on to a Higher Education course at College or university, or explore the possibility of doing a Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4).
The College offers a HNC in both Civil Engineering and Construction and the Built Environment.
Following further study you could work as:
• A Technical Surveyor, earning between £18,000 to £32,000, depending on experience
• A Civil Engineer, earning between £24,000 to £80,000, depending on experience
• An Architect, earning between £27,500 to £90,000, depending on experience.
We are proud to be delivering T Levels in Professional Build
During the course we will conduct various site visits looking at real-time construction projects and understanding the various elements of project management and site management.
• We liaise closely with Willmott Dixon for site visits
• You will undertake industry specific work placements
• We also offer a wide range of enrichment including trips and sporting activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you're a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to
complement your study programme experience.
The College recognises the need to reward your hard work, dedication and achievement as well as good attendance and punctuality.
The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton Group and students can undertake a range of activities including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more; if you work hard, there's a good chance you could enjoy these activities too.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
FREE CSCS Card, essential for construction site work!
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting our application form
or by clicking on the Apply Now button.
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending
one of our Open Events:
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.