Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
If you are a natural-born leader, a good communicator or enjoy being part of a highly-motivated team, you could consider a career in the Public Services. The Level 3 is a two-year course, based on practical participation and designed to help you to pass the selection processes of a number of public service organisations.
You’ll benefit from a two days per week work placement programme, giving you essential skills and improving your career prospects.
Taught within a disciplined environment, and using the excellent training facilities on campus, you will develop your leadership and teamwork skills whilst improving your physical fitness. You’ll also get to take advantage of an extensive enrichment programme, with activities designed to help you to put your skills into practice (such as army residentials, Yorkshire Three Peaks Walk and visits to the Manchester Velodrome).
What you'll learn
Your course will cover a variety of different topics, which may include:
• Government, Policies & the Public Services
• Leadership & Teamwork in the Public Services
• Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services (UPS)
• Fitness Testing & Training for the UPS
• Citizenship, Diversity & the Public Services
• Command & Control in the UPS
• Physical Preparation, Health & Lifestyle for the Public Services
• Crime & its Effects on Society
• Functional Skills
• Responding to Emergency Services Incidents
• Exercise, Health & Lifestyle
• Functional Skills
• Planning & Management of Major Incidents
• Aspects of the Legal System & Law-making Process
• Instructing Physical Activity & Exercise
• Communication & Technology in the UPS
• Security Procedures in the Public Services
Free Additional Qualifications
• Sports Leaders Award Level 2
• Gym Instructing Level 2
• Higher Sports Leaders Level 3
We encourage our students to continue their English &
maths study to Level 3.
Elements of Study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
• Fitness testing
• Fitness, health and lifestyle development
To apply for this course, we’d like you to have a good progress file and the ability to demonstrate a commitment to the uniformed services as a career. You’ll also be invited to come for an interview and provide a satisfactory school reference.
To gain entry you need to obtain 36 points from your GCSEs, including 4 or above in Maths & English.
How will I be assessed?
You’ll be asked to complete a variety of assignments for each topic – some theoretical and some practical. Many assignments require you to visit facilities and observe activities taking place.
BONUS: there are no formal exams!
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning
Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme.
This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes masterclasses; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a Higher Education course at college or university, or explore the possibility of doing a Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4).
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by
Following further study you could work as:
• A Health & Safety Adviser where you could earn
between £22,000 and £35,000 a year, depending on
• A Police Officer, earning between £19,000 and £37,000
a year, depending on your experience.
• A Civil Service Administration Officer, earning between
£15,000 ad £24,500 a year.
• A British Army Officer earning up to £52,000 depending
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from the sport/fitness sector
• Participating in regional and national tournaments
• Taking part in enrichment activities such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton Group and students can undertake a range of activities including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more; if you work hard, there's a good chance you could enjoy these activities too.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.