Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
If you are a natural-born leader, a good communicator or enjoy being part of a highly-motivated team, you could consider a career in the Public Services. The Level 2 course focuses on practical participation and
is designed to help you to progress on to the next level of study, with the ultimate aim of allowing you to pass the selection processes of a number of public service organisations.
Taught within a disciplined environment, and using the
excellent training facilities on campus, you will develop
your leadership and teamwork skills whilst improving
your physical fitness. You’ll also get to take advantage
of an extensive enrichment programme, with activities
designed to help you to put your skills into practice
(such as army residentials, Yorkshire Three Peaks Walk
and visits to the Manchester Velodrome).
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to
the world of work.
What you'll learn
Your course will cover a range of different units and topics, including:
• Employment in the Public Services
• Health, Fitness and Lifestyle
• Expedition Experience
• The Role and Work of the Public Services
• Working Skills in the Public Services
• Sport and Recreation
• Citizenship and Society
• Crime and its Effects Additional qualifications:
• Employee Rights & Responsibilities (ERR)
• Personal Learning & Thinking Skills (PLTS)
If required for your chosen career or HE course, you may wish to study English & maths to Level 3.
Elements of Study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
• Fitness Testing
• Fitness, health and lifestyle development
To apply for this course we’d like you to have a good progress file and the ability to demonstrate a commitment to the uniformed services as a career. You’ll also be invited to come for an interview and will need to provide a satisfactory school reference.
To gain entry you need to obtain 26 points from your GCSEs.
How will I be assessed?
You will be asked to complete a variety of written and practical assignments for each subject, and you’ll also be required to sit an external assessment.
Who can I speak to about this course?
Whilst all our buildings remain closed to keep our staff, learners and visitors safe please contact us via our LiveChat service on our website -www.boltoncollege.ac.uk
or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
I'm interested in this course, what do I need to do next?
You need to speak to one of our Tutors before you can enrol on to this course therefore, please use the ‘apply’ button on this screen to register your interest. Once we have your details a Tutor will contact you by phone. Please be aware that our number will be displayed as unknown/private/withheld
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning
Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
After you have completed the course you could remain in College and progress on to the Public Services BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 (if you achieve ‘Merit’ or above).
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following further study you could work as:
• A Health & Safety Adviser where you could earn between £22,000 and £35,000 a year, depending on experience.
• A Police Officer, earning between £19,000 and £37,000 a year, depending on your experience.
• A Civil Service Administration Office, earning between £15,000 ad £24,500 a year.
• A British Army Officer on up to £52,000 depending on rank.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from the sport/fitness sector
• Participating in regional and national tournaments
• Taking part in enrichment activities such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton Group and students can undertake a range of activities including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more; if you work hard, there's a good chance you could enjoy these activities too.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Click 'Apply' to submit your application.
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.