Overview of the course
A ‘work hard play hard’ ethos is expected of all students and a balanced approach to the sporting/academic demands of the programme is essential. Whether you have the drive and ambition to get to the
top of the podium, or the passion and dedication to put someone else there, this sports qualification can help you reach the peak of your game. If you give us commitment, enthusiasm and motivation, we will give you the knowledge and practical skills that you are looking for.
This course will build on skills gained at Level 1.
All our students are given the opportunity to play in regional competitions on a Wednesday afternoon by representing their College. Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
• Instructing, Observing & Assisting Gym-Based Activities
• Evaluating & Developing Own Practice in Instructing Exercise & Fitness
• Motivating & Supporting Clients to Develop & Maintain Fitness
• Planning & Preparing Gym-Based Activities with Clients
• Dealing with Accidents & Emergencies (First Aid) Additional Qualifications
• Personal Learning & Thinking Skills (PLTS)
• Level 2 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure & Learning
You’ll also study, if appropriate, Functional Skills Level 1 in English and maths.
We encourage our students to continue their English & maths study to Level 3
We’d like to see a proven track record of very good attendance at school/work, along with a good reference
from school/a previous employer. We also ask that you have two GCSEs, at Grade 4 or above, or a Level 1 qualification in Sports and a satisfactory level of English and maths.
How will I be assessed?
You’ll be assessed by assignments, projects, practical work and case studies.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning
Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme. This will give you a range of additional skills
and experiences, and includes masterclasses; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could remain in College and progress on to the Sport BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3.
Alternatively, if you choose to look for paid work you could opt for an Exercise & Fitness Apprenticeship and work as an Apprentice Personal Trainer.
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following further study you could work as:
• A Fitness Instructor, where you could earn between £14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on
• A Personal Trainer, earning between £14,000 and £22,000 a year.
• A PE Teacher, earning between £24,000 and £32,000 a year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from the sport/fitness sector
• Participating in regional and national tournaments
• Taking part in enrichment activities such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentorand Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.