Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
This programme has been designed to provide you with the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to progress to further study and training in a range of art and design subjects, including fine art, photography, graphic design, and others.
Many students will have identified a specific career in the creative industries that they wish to progress to such as fashion designer, graphic designer, product designer or architect, and will use this qualification as a starting point.
What you'll learn
The qualification will provide students with:
• Research, ideas development, the use of technical skills and evaluation.
• The diversity of roles and responsibilities in the industry and the personal and professional characteristics needed for a career in the creative media industry.
• Communication skills used in the industries and exploration of the specific skills and attributes required for communicating with an audience in the production of art and design outcomes.
• An opportunity to demonstrate understanding through the production of a portfolio of evidence via a final major project.
• The history and context of art and design disciplines and an understanding of the value of contextual research in informing practice.
• An opportunity to integrate and use previously acquired skills, knowledge and understanding and to explore and develop more specific techniques, skills and attributes across art and design subjects.
• An opportunity to integrate and use skills, knowledge and understanding and to explore and develop specific techniques, skills and attributes.
There are two pathways:
• Art & Design with drawing, mixed media, printmaking, painting and three dimensional design.
• Art & Design with drawing, mixed media, animation, graphic design and photography.
You’ll need at least four GCSEs grades 3-1 including English and Maths and at least one in a relevant subject. We’ll also ask to see a portfolio of your art/design work and invite you for an interview.
How will I be assessed?
The qualification is made up of eight units. All units are delivered through vocational learning and relate to the art and design sector. The units focus on the underpinning skills, knowledge and understanding that support all art and design activity.
The units have been designed to allow our College to deliver them in a way that meets the specific needs of our students, taking into account college resources, relationships with local creative employers and responding to the fast-paced nature of the creative industries.
Students are assessed via a ‘Final Major Project’ which takes place at the end of the course when they are at their best. This large project allows students to demonstrate all the learning that has taken place through completion of the other units.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme.
This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes masterclasses; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could remain in College and progress on to the Art & Design Diploma Level 2 or an alternative provision.
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following a career path in the art, design and digital media industry, you could choose to work as:
• An Artist, earning up to £28,000 a year, depending on experience
• Professional Photographer, earning up to £30,000 on average
• A Jewellery Designer, earning between £15,000 and £50,000 a year depending on experience
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities including:
• Visits to art galleries and artists’ studios
• Masterclasses and specialist workshops delivered by professionals from the art world
• Opportunity to work to live briefs
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
The College recognises the need to reward your hard work, dedication and achievement as well as good attendance and punctuality.
The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton Group and students can undertake a range of activities including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more; if you work hard, there's a good chance you could enjoy these activities too.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting our application form
or by clicking on the Apply Now button.
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
- Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
- Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
- Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
to learn more or to register your attendance for one of our Open Events.
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.