Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
This qualification has been developed in consultation with employers in the digital games sector to ensure learners develop the skills and behaviours that give them the best opportunity to be successful when applying for work. 83% of the qualification is mandatory and provides a foundation of skills, knowledge and behaviours expected by employers in the digital games production sector of the creative industries. These skills are central to understanding the diverse nature of the industry and to creating a successful portfolio.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
The mandatory units learners cover include:
• digital production project (externally assessed)
• planning and pitching a digital media product
• digital testing
• narrative for digital media
• animation for digital media
Learners can also choose one optional specialist unit, which builds on and extends their skills and knowledge.
Learners will also enhance their broader skills in literacy and numeracy, which will be invaluable in supporting progression in other areas. In addition, they will develop transferable technical and practical skills in communication, research and teamwork.
If required for your chosen career or HE course, you may wish to study English & maths to Level 3.
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
You’ll need at least four GCSE grades 3, including English and Maths and at least one in a relevant subject.
How will I be assessed?
Throughout the one-year course your work will be internally assessed. You will be given feedback on a regular basis and will be set smart targets to stretch and challenge you.
There is also an externally marked Digital Production Project assignment.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme.
This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes masterclasses; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a higher education course at college or university, or explore the option of doing a Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4).
Following further study you could work as:
• A Computer Games Developer, earning up to £70,000 a year depending on your experience and the type of projects you work on.
• A Computer Games Tester, earning a salary between £15,000 and £40,000 a year, depending on experience.
• An Animator, earning between £14,000 and £36,000 a year.
We are proud to be delivering T Levels in Computing & IT from 2021.
• Masterclasses and specialist workshops delivered by professionals from the games design industry
• Opportunity to work to live briefs
• Visits and workshop activities with University of Bolton Games Design Department
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.