Overview of the course
If you’re considering a career in the vibrant construction industry forecasts are strong for employment growth in the North West of England.
If you’re wondering about which construction trade or pathway to follow, this programme may just be what you’re looking for.
Taught by industry-experienced tutors in spacious, state-of-the-art workshops, the programme will help you decide which construction pathway to specialise in.
The programme has been designed to cover the basic skills and techniques associated with plastering, bricklaying, carpentry & joinery and painting & decorating.
You’ll get the opportunity to sample eight weeks in each trade area to help you make an informed choice about your future career in construction.
This is the ideal course to sample and try all skills helping you to choose your preferred trade/skill to progress to.
What you'll learn
• Basic plastering, including preparing background surfaces, applying render and finishing coats
• Basic bricklaying, including constructing half brick walls, building corners and laying blocks
• Basic carpentry and joinery, including marking out to form halving, mortice and tenon and housing joints
• Basic painting and decorating, including applying paint and various wall coverings to a variety of surfaces
Element of Study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
You should be able to demonstrate at interview an enthusiasm and dedication for a career in the construction industry. You need to be motivated, punctual and committed to attend all the sessions. You will possess a good level of English and maths but this is not essential.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be undertaken by the completion of various practical tasks which will be linked to the vocational area in which you are studying.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
On successful completion of this course you should be in a far better and more informed position to choose your next steps. You may have really enjoyed one of the four vocational pathways and choose to pursue this on a Level 1 course.
You could then progress to an Apprenticeship, onto full-time employment, professional job-specific qualifications, Higher Apprenticeships or a degree programme.
Following further study you could work as:
• A Construction Manager, earning between £27,000 and £30,000 per year.
• A Carpenter, earning between £16,000 and £40,000 per year.
• A Painter & Decorator, earning between £15,000 and£30,000 per year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from the industry
• Visiting local businesses
• Taking part in enterprise activities.
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you’re a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to complement your study programme experience.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
• FREE CSCS Card, essential for site work
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event
• Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.