Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
This Entry Certificate aims to develop your interest and passion for the hair and beauty industry by providing a practical introduction that will prepare you for further learning or training, such as Level 1 Hairdressing, Level 1 Beauty Therapy or Level 1 Barbering.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
This course will cover:
• Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector
• Hair Plaiting
• Shampooing & Conditioning
• Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon
• Creating an Image using Colour for the Hair & Beauty Sector
We encourage our students to continue their English & maths study to Level 3.
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills).
Elements of Study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
There are no formal entry requirements, but you should be committed to learning and keen to practise new skills, whilst working with others. You will need to attend an informal interview and have a satisfactory school reference.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be carried out through a variety of methods, including practical assessments, assignments and tests.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
After you have completed the course you could remain in College and progress on to Level 1 Hairdressing, Level 1 Beauty Therapy or Level 1 Barbering.
Alternatively, if you choose to look for paid work you could opt for a Hairdressing Apprenticeship and work as a Hairdressing Apprentice.
Following further study you could work as:
• A fully-trained Hairdresser where you could earn between £14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on experience.
• A Salon Manager, earning between £18,000 and £30,000 a year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting employers/industry experts
• Opportunity to participate in local and national competitions
• Visits to film and TV sets eg: Emmerdale and Media City
• Visiting local businesses
• Taking part in showcase activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you’re a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to complement your study programme experience.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
PLUS FREE EQUIPMENT WORTH UP TO £370
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.