Overview of the course
Whether you have the drive and ambition to get to the top of the podium, or the passion and dedication to put someone else there, this sports qualification can help you reach the peak of your game.
If you give us commitment, enthusiasm and motivation, we will give you the knowledge and practical skills that you are looking for. You will build on the skills that you gained on the Level 2 course.
A ‘work hard play hard’ ethos is expected of all students and a balanced approach to the sporting/academic demands of the programme is essential.
All our students are given the opportunity to play in regional competitions on a Wednesday afternoon, representing their College. Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
You’ll study 18 units, including:
• Principles of Anatomy & Physiology
• Fitness Testing for Sports & Exercise
• Psychology for Sports
• Practical Sports Investigation
• Fitness & Training
• Sports Coaching
• Sports Development
• Physiology of Fitness
• Sports Nutrition
• Sport as a Business
• Work Experience
You will also complete a YMCA Level 2 Fitness Instructors’ qualification, as well as the higher ‘sports leaders’ award and a first aid course. These will boost your employability and your UCAS point score. We
encourage our students to continue their English & maths study to Level 3.
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance,communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living,volunteering and citizenship skills)
To apply for this course, we ask that you have four GCSEs at Grades 8-4 (or 32 points) including English & Maths, or a related Level 2 qualification. We’ll also ask you to
attend an interview and provide a satisfactory school reference.
How will I be assessed?
You’ll be assessed by practical and theoretical assignments, including external exams and assessments.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning
Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity
to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED
programme. This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes masterclasses; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could
progress on to a higher education course at college or
university, or explore the possibility of doing a Higher
Apprenticeship (Level 4).
Alternatively, if you choose to look for paid work you
could opt for an Exercise & Fitness Apprenticeship and
work as an Apprentice Personal Trainer.
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by
Following further study you could work as:
• A Fitness Instructor, where you could earn between £14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on experience.
• A Personal Trainer, earning between £14,000 and £22,000 a year.
• A PE Teacher, earning between £24,000 and £32,000 a year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from the sport/fitness sector
• Participating in regional and national tournaments
• Taking part in enrichment activities such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.