Overview of the course
The course consists of five BTEC units covering an introduction to working in the sports, fitness and exercise industries from a practical and basic theory perspective. This will give you the knowledge and skills
required for progressing onto higher level courses and jobs such as Leisure Attendant, Sports Coaching and Fitness Instructor.
What you'll learn
The full-time (16 hours a week) one-year programme includes five BTEC units and an additional Bolton College Certificate in Personal & Social Development (PSD).
• The Importance Of Participation in Sport & Active Leisure
• How the Active Body Works
• Introducing the Sport & Active Leisure Industry
• Working with Different Types of Customers in Sport & Active Leisure includes internal supervised work experience hours within College
• Working In A Group
• Healthy Living
• Preparing for Work (includes Employability Skills)
• Healthy Lifestyles
• Group Tutorial (Tracking & Monitoring Progress Sessions)
• College wide enrichment programme of FREE sports activities to participate in
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent) Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living,volunteering and citizenship skills)
You do not need any formal qualifications, just the interest and ambition of a career in sport. All learners will be interviewed by staff to assess their suitability.
How will I be assessed?
There are new formal external assessments on BTEC courses, but learners are also assessed using a variety of different methods such as presentations, observations and coursework based IT tasks, graded to a pass grade. Some units have practical-based assignments that require visits to local facilities to participate in activities.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning
Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme. This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes master classes; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could remain in College and progress on to a Level 2 in Sport or Public Services.
Alternatively, if you choose to look for paid work you could opt for an Apprenticeship.
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following further study you could work as:
• A Fitness Instructor, where you could earn between
£14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on
• A Personal Trainer, earning between £14,000 and
£22,000 a year.
• A PE Teacher, earning between £24,000 and £32,000
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from the sport/fitness sector
• Participating in regional and national tournaments
• Taking part in enrichment activities such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you're a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to
complement your study programme experience.
The College recognises the need to reward your hard work, dedication and achievement as well as good attendance and punctuality.
The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton Group and students can undertake a range of activities including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more; if you work hard, there's a good chance you could enjoy these activities too.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.