Overview of the course
The Bolton College Fitness and Wellbeing Academy is a unique opportunity for enthusiastic young people who are interested in becoming Fitness Instructors and Personal Trainers. The course is aimed at people
who already attend gyms and aspire to work in gym environments, or may have gym instructor qualifications that they wish to add to.
Once you have completed Year 1 and 2 of the Fitness Academy you will be equipped with a portfolio of qualifications which meet the needs of both local and national employers.
Additional qualifications you will obtain at Level 3 are:
• Outdoor Fitness Instructor
• Kettlebell Instructor
• Studio Resistance Instructor
Please note - This is an industry ready qualification and so does not carry any UCAS points, instead, this qualification focuses on employability. Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes,
enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
The full time (16 hours a week) one year course includes the Level 3 1st4Sport NVQ Diploma in Supporting
the Delivery of Physical Education & School Sport and the Level 3 YMCA Diploma in Personal Training (Practitioner).
You will learn:
• Delivery of Physical Education & School Sport:
• Communication & Professional Relationships with Children, Young People & Adults
• Schools as Organisations
• Understand Child & Young Person Development
• Understand How to Safeguard the Wellbeing of Young People/Support Assessment for Learning
• Plan a Physical Education & School Sport Programme
• Deliver a Physical Education & School Sport Programme
• Review the Delivery of a PE & School Sport Programme
• Organise & Lead a Sports Event or Competition
• Preparing for the Mentoring Role
• Support Gifted & Talented Learners
• Personal Training Practitioner:
• Applied Anatomy & Physiology
• Promoting Wellness Through Client Motivation &
• Bespoke Exercise Programme Design
• Customised Exercise Programme Instruction &
• Nutrition to Support Physical Activity
• Business Acumen for a Successful Personal Training Practice
We encourage our students to continue their English & maths study to Level 3
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (
To apply, you need a Level 2 Fitness Instructor Certificate and a Level 2 Coaching or Activity Leadership
qualification, and preferably have already achieved Maths and/or English Language at Grade 4 or above. All learners will be formally interviewed by staff to assess their suitability for the study programme.
How will I be assessed?
You’ll be assessed by practical and theoretical assignments, including external exams and assessments.
Who can I speak to about this course?
Whilst all our buildings remain closed to keep our staff, learners and visitors safe please contact us via our LiveChat service on our website -www.boltoncollege.ac.uk
or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
I'm interested in this course, what do I need to do next?
You need to speak to one of our Tutors before you can enrol on to this course therefore, please use the ‘apply’ button on this screen to register your interest. Once we have your details a Tutor will contact you by phone. Please be aware that our number will be displayed as unknown/private/withheld
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning
Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity
to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme. This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes master classes; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a higher education course at college or university, or explore the possibility of doing a Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4).
Alternatively, if you choose to look for paid work you could opt for an Exercise & Fitness Apprenticeship and work as an Apprentice Personal Trainer.
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following further study you could work as:
• A Fitness Instructor, where you could earn between £14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on experience.
• A Personal Trainer, earning between £14,000 and £22,000 a year.
• A PE Teacher, earning between £24,000 and £32,000 a year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from the sport/fitness sector
• Participating in regional and national tournaments
• Taking part in enrichment activities such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton Group and students can undertake a range of activities including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more; if you work hard, there's a good chance you could enjoy these activities too.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Click 'Apply' to submit your application.
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.