Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
This is a one-year course designed to give you a nationally recognised qualification in make-up – providing the knowledge, skills and understanding required to gain employment within the industry.
This course combines practical work with related theory in preparation for fashion, theatrical and TV make-up. You will develop skills including special effects and prosthetic making. This course will also develop your communication and personal skills, which are essential for this line of work.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
This course develops practical skills in:
• Camouflage Make-up
• Airbrush Make-up to the Face
• Fashion & Photographic Make-up
• Wig Work
• Creative Hair Design
• Media Make-up
• Application of Prosthetic Pieces
• Health & Safety in the Salon
• Client Care & Communication
• 30 Hour Work Placement
If required for your chosen HE course, you may wish to study English & maths to Level 3.
Elements of Study:
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
You will need to have successfully achieved one of the following:
Hair & Media Make-up Level 2
Beauty Therapy Level 2
Make-up Artistry Level 2
Hairdressing Level 2
Good dexterity skills are crucial, and these will be assessed with a skills test. We will also invite you for an informal interview and ask you to provide a suitable reference.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via a broad range of methods:
• Oral questions
• Online tests or assignments
• Practical work
We will also ask you to organise and build a portfolio of practical work to provide evidence of what you have learned.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme.
This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes master classes; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a higher education course at college or university or continue your study with an Apprenticeship.
Following further study you could work as:
• A Beauty Therapist, earning between £12,000 and£18,000 a year depending on experience.
• A Salon Manager, earning between £18,000 and£21,000 a year.
• A TV or Theatre Make-up Artist, with earning potential of £21 per hour.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Receive training from industry professionals, such as Ellisons, Studex, St. Tropez, Dermalogica and Eve Taylor
• The annual Beauty Showcase, where you can display your creative and technical skills
• Opportunity to raise money for charity through offering treatments to the public
• Teaching is delivered in industry-standard commercial salons
• Study Programmes and Apprenticeships range from Pre-Entry to Level 5, including access to a Higher Education pathway
• Opportunity to practise treatments on paying members of the public
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you’re a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to complement your study programme experience.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has
to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
PLUS FREE EQUIPMENT WORTH UP TO £370
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.