Overview of the course
The purpose of these qualifications is to provide specialist knowledge, skills and understanding relating to working in the police service in areas such as leadership skills, physical fitness, equality and diversity and inclusion, which can then be applied to current or future employment. The content has been developed with employers, subject experts and tutors to ensure that it’s relevant to the real world and meets the need of employers.
You will gain a broad understanding of policing. A number of our existing Uniformed Services units have been contextualised to Policing. We have also developed new units so that this qualification is focussed on a career in the police service.
What you'll learn
There are a number of units available below:
• Prepare for a career in the police service
• Develop leadership skills
• Equality, diversity and inclusion
• Develop aspects of physical fitness for entry to the police service
• Values and standards in the police service
• Mental and physical wellbeing in the police service
• Carry out map reading and navigation across open country
• Understand conflict management and personal protection
• The influence of UK government, international organisations and the media on the police service
• Collaboration between the emergency services
• Emergency planning and response in the police service
• Understand the impact of war and conflict on the police service
• Understanding discipline in the police service
• UK legal systems and the police service
• Crime scene investigation
• ICT in the police service
• Volunteering in the police service
• Safeguarding and the Prevent Duty
• The development of the UK police service
• Neighbourhood policing
• Dealing with emergency incidents
• Understanding mental health
• Preparation for Higher Education*
*A mandatory unit in the Extended Diploma to prepare learners for Higher Education.
Elements of Study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
• Fitness testing
• Fitness, health and lifestyle development
To apply for this course, we’d like you to have a good progress file and the ability to demonstrate a commitment to the uniformed services as a career. You’ll also be invited to come for an interview and provide a satisfactory school reference.
To gain entry you need to obtain 36 points from your GCSEs, including 4 or above in Maths & English.
How will I be assessed?
You’ll be asked to complete a variety of assignments for each topic – some theoretical and some practical. Many assignments require you to visit facilities and observe activities taking place.
BONUS: there are no formal exams!
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
Alongside your studies, you’ll have a unique opportunity to be part of the University of Bolton’s EXCEED programme. This will give you a range of additional skills and experiences, and includes masterclasses; university visits; access to industry experts; and mentoring and support with your university application, perfect for that next step into Higher Education.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a Higher Education course at college or university, or explore the possibility of doing a Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4).
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following further study you could work as:
• A Police Officer, earning between £19,000 and £37,000 a year, depending on your experience.
Depending on the grade the learner achieves in these qualifications, they could progress to:
• Professional Policing BSc (Hons) Protective Services
• Level 3 Certificate in Knowledge of Policing
• Policing Foundation Degree
• Public Service Foundation Degree
• Higher Apprenticeship
• BA (Hons) in Public Services
• Professional Policing
• Criminology and Policing
• Criminal Justice
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in, so, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
• Meeting guest speakers from the sector
• Visiting local sector providers
• Taking part in enrichment activities – such as Battlefield Sports, Go Ape, Army residentials etc and getting involved in fundraising activities and social events.
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you’re a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to complement your study programme experience.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts.
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
- A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
- Apple Mac suites
- A theatre and dance studios
- A café selling Costa coffee
- The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by vclicking the apply button on this page.
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.