Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
This course provides students with a solid foundation in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. It will prepare you for progression on to the Level 3 programme and employment.
Work experience is an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
This programme is made up of a variety of units,
• Principles of Science
• Chemistry and our Earth
• Energy and our Universe
• Biology and our Environment
• Applications of Chemical Substances
• Applications of Physical Science
• Health Applications of Life Science
• Scientific Skills
• The Living Body
• Science in Medicine
• Chemical Analysis and Detection
• Exploring the Universe
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
Four GCSEs at grade 3 including English, Maths and Science/Applied Science.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via a portfolio of evidence, which you will build throughout the academic year. There will also be two externally marked exams that will contribute to your overall grade.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services. These include FREE travel; FREE breakfast; dedicated Learning
Development Mentors; impartial advice and guidance; dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs; and support with the cost of College, plus much more.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to the Applied Science Extended Diploma Level 3.
Following further study you could work as:
• A Biomedical Scientist, earning between £24,000 and £43,000 per year.
• A Forensic Scientist, earning between £20,000 and £45,000 per year.
• A Nutritionist, earning between £24,000 and £37,000 per year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities including:
• Investigations into the field of Astronomy
• Trips to science museums
• Visits and tours of local university science facilities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development.
You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work.
You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you’re a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to
complement your study programme experience.
The College recognises the need to reward your hard work, dedication and achievement as well as good attendance and punctuality. The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton
Group and students can undertake a range of activities
including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more;
if you work hard, there’s a good chance you could enjoy
these activities too.
The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton Group and students can undertake a range of activities including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more; if you work hard, there's a good chance you could enjoy these activities too.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to
Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award. In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’.
Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting www.boltoncollege.ac.uk/yp-application
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
• Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
• Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
• Futures4Me Event - Monday 7th October 2019, 3.30pm-7pm
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.