Overview of the course
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study. This Applied Science course will enable you to explore a wide range of scientific fields and work in a variety of laboratory and research environments.
You’ll see science come to life when you carry out experiments in our well-equipped laboratory and visit centres of scientific excellence. Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
Your study programme will cover areas including:
• Biochemistry & Biochemical Techniques
• Biomedical Science
• Chemical Laboratory Techniques
• Diseases & Infections
• Genetics & Genetic Engineering
• Human Physiology
• Microbiological Techniques
• Scientific Techniques for Health Science
If required for your chosen HE course, you may wish to study English & maths to Level 3.
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
• Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
• English or maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
• Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
• Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
• Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
• An industry placement of at least 315 hours
You will be expected to have five GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English, Maths and Science or Applied Science.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by practical activities and investigations within the laboratory and you will also be asked to produce an assessment portfolio of your scientific investigations. There are four formal examinations within this qualification.
Supporting your learning and wellbeing
We want you to enjoy every minute of College, both in the classroom and out of it, so we have a range of dedicated support and wellbeing services.
- FREE travel
- FREE breakfast
- dedicated Learning Development Mentors
- impartial advice and guidance
- dedicated one-to-one support for learners with additional needs
- support with the cost of College
plus much more.
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a Higher Education course at College or university, or explore the possibility of doing a Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4).
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following further study you could work as a:
• Biochemist, earning up to £46,000 per year
• Chemical Scientists, earning up to £38,000 per year with experience
• Zoologist, earning up to £31,000 per year
• Ecologists, with an average salary of £28,000 per year
We want to give you a positive experience at College
and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be
working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities including:
• Investigations into the field of Astronomy
• Trips to science museums
• Visits and tours of local university science facilities
As part of our Pre-Professionals Programme, you’ll have your own personal Learning Development Mentor and Careers Coach. They’ll help you to manage your studies, oversee your progress and aid in your personal development. You’ll also benefit from quality work experience and industry placements, ensuring that you’re ready for the world of work. You could also benefit from getting involved in volunteering
opportunities, both locally and abroad, and youth social action projects, perfect for enhancing your CV.
Gifted and Talented Programme
If you're a potentially high-achieving learner, capable of exceeding your targets, we will stretch and challenge you by providing the opportunity for you to study additional qualifications, with support in place to
complement your study programme experience.
The College recognises the need to reward your hard work, dedication and achievement as well as good attendance and punctuality.
The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre is now part of the University Of Bolton Group and students can undertake a range of activities including kayaking, canoeing, archery and much more; if you work hard, there's a good chance you could enjoy these activities too.
Why choose us?
We’re part of the University of Bolton Group, which means you’ll benefit from all that the University has to offer, including world-class facilities and access to industry experts. Throughout your time at College, we’ll reward your achievements, with trips to The Anderton Outdoor Activity Centre, the University’s outdoor pursuits centre, and so much more. You’ll also have the opportunity toapply for the prestigious Duke of Edinburgh Award.
In our last Ofsted inspection, we were graded ‘Good’. Our £75 million campus offers:
• A newly refurbished fitness suite and sports hall
• Apple Mac suites
• A theatre and dance studios
• A café selling Costa coffee
• The Academy Hair & Beauty Salon
• Signature restaurant
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year, including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
How to apply?
Submit an application online by visiting our application form
or by clicking on the Apply Now button.
Discover what Bolton College has to offer by attending one of our Open Events:
- Thursday 17th October 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
- Wednesday 20th November 2019, 5.30pm-8pm
- Tuesday 4th February 2020, 5.30pm-8pm
to learn more or to register your attendance for one of our Open Events.
Every care has been taken to ensure that the information contained within these course information sheets was accurate at the time of publishing.
Bolton College is constantly evaluating its services to meet the needs of learners; therefore programmes/courses/Apprenticeships, resources and facilities may be subject to change without prior notice.